1308 Siena Buonisegna replica of a medieval carpet
In 1308-1311, Duccio di Buonisegna painted a small painting of the Disputation of Doctors in Siena (today we would translate more as a disputation of scholars). And this carpet on it. Of course he hasn’t survived, so we don’t know more about him than that Buonisegna probably had at least borrowed him. It is interesting in that it is minimalist in color and pattern, and as with Jan van Eyck, the ornaments clearly mix oriental and European motifs. It is so different from the typically Anatolian or Central Asian ones that it is not entirely out of the question that it originated somewhere in Sicily or even directly in Siena, but we do not know that.
80 x 180
100 x 225
120 x 270
Use: film, reenactment, larp, home use
The style fits into the period – about 1300-1500
We can weave the carpet in various color variants.
If you are interested in a different combination of size and material than the one listed in the offer, do not hesitate to contact us.
Materials and quality of carpet
Sheep wool is a natural animal fiber. It is a traditional historical material, the vast majority of historical carpets are made of wool (with the exception of the most expensive ones, which are silk). The wool carpet has brilliant colors, which bring the synthetic carpet closer, but it never reaches it fully. The wool is also soft and pleasant to the touch.
The wool in the interior breathes and works with moisture. The quality wool carpet keeps the lanolin from the wool and after stroking you feel its “grease”. The higher the quality, the more lanolin.
Sensitivity to moisture has pros and cons. The advantage is that the room lives well and the carpet helps to stabilize the climate. The disadvantage may be that long-term moisture can damage the carpet. In the interior, it could happen that if you heat the room, you need to let the carpet dry well, as well as if you take it to events where it is very likely to get wet. Which is not a problem, you just can’t leave it packed, but when you return you have to let it dry.
Our carpets are made of 100% natural material, made of wool originating from New Zealand. They are woven by hand and dyed with 100% natural dyes of plant origin, the same as the dyes used for carpet weaving in history. They are always completely handmade. We make them to order, so we can adjust the size to the customer and at the same time we add a specific, rather invisible, slight deviation to each of the patterns of each wool carpet, so that your carpet will be unique.
In general, we strive to make it historically the most faithful replica possible.
A well-treated wool carpet will last for hundreds of years. If you take good care of it, it practically does not age – even if you use it normally. (The oldest carpet we have preserved is from Pazyryk and is about 2500 years old).
Therefore, wool carpet is also an excellent investment – its price will rise steadily in terms of piece and unusual patterns, the price will increase.
Advantages of wool carpet
- In terms of price, it is a compromise, of course more expensive than a synthetic substitute, but still much cheaper than silk.
- Historically, it is a perfectly faithful material.
- It has beautiful brilliant colors, a pleasant touch and warms.
- It breathes with the environment and helps maintain a pleasant climate.
- The wave does not burn.
- Unlike synthetic fibers, wool fibers do not break.
- Woolen carpet will survive the ages and its price will continue to rise – so it is a safe conservative investment. Our wool carpets will always be unique, no two will be completely identical and you will not buy them anywhere else.
Disadvantages of wool carpet
- It wants sensitive maintenance and thoughtful handling.
- It is sensitive to moisture, if it is stored incorrectly it can mold and if you leave it packed somewhere for a long time it can be attacked by moths (it is better if it is on the floor and you use it normally).
- In direct bright sunlight, the colors fade over time.
- Various stains leave marks on it.
- It gradually gains dust. Which is good for the comfort of the living room, but at the same time it wants to take the wool carpet on a knocker from time to time and gently knock the dust out of it.
If you maintain it with a vacuum cleaner, especially with a higher power, expect it to let go of the hair. The vacuum cleaner is not exactly suitable, the wool carpet wants to be knocked out.
It is an ideal carpet for living rooms, offices, hotels, etc.
The reenactment is beautiful, it is really a historically faithful replica.
Silk is the noblest material – and it has always been in history. Silk carpet is a piece of jewelry, an interior decoration. Silk carpet is a piece of jewelry, an ornament that crowns the interior. The silk carpet was and is a luxury. Its production is laborious, expensive – but its features are exceptional. Silk carpets are the finest, the softest, have the finest patterns and the richest colors. Apart from the extraordinary touch, silk is very beautiful to look at, the material is shiny and no other material has as beautiful and rich colors as silk. Although there are various synthetic substitutes, none have comparable aesthetic value.
It holds heat well and compensates for climatic fluctuations – it warms in winter and cools to the touch in summer.
Our carpets are made of 100% natural material. They are woven by hand and dyed with 100% natural dyes of plant origin, the same as the dyes used for carpet weaving in history. They are always completely handmade. We make them to order, so we can adjust the size to the customer and at the same time we add a specific small deviation to each pattern of each wool carpet, so that your carpet will be unique.
Silk is the most durable of all materials. A well-treated silk rug will last for hundreds of years, and if you take good care of it, it will practically not age – even if you use it normally.
For this reason, a silk carpet is also an excellent investment – its price will rise steadily in terms of piece and unusual patterns, the price will increase.
Advantages of silk carpet
It has beautiful brilliant and rich colors, no other material can do such colors.
Can draw the finest detail of a drawing.
The silk carpet has a pleasant touch and warms in winter and cools in summer.
Unlike synthetic fibers, silk fibers do not break and are softer, but more durable than wool.
Woolen carpet will survive the ages and its price will continue to rise – so it is a safe conservative investment. Our silk carpets will always be unique, no two will be identical and you will not buy them anywhere else.
Disadvantages of silk carpet
Price, it’s a luxury item of lasting value.
Optimal use of silk carpet
It is a premium luxury carpet for living rooms, prestigious offices and luxury interiors in general.
In the reenactment, it makes sense only as an decoration, jewel in the royal or imperial court. Silk, and the silk carpet in particular, has always been a demonstration of the exceptional position of its owner.
Today, it is the most common carpet material. Synthetic material, lowcost wool replacement for carpets. It is machine-made, carpets from our offer in small series. Despite this, it has many advantages.
It has a high resistance to abrasion, if you choose the variant with 7 mm hair, it is relatively soft to the touch and insulates the space.
Advantages of polypropylene carpets
- Low price (several times cheaper than a comparatively large one made of natural fibers)
- It is easy to maintain and can withstand rough handling in many ways. You can clean it without much regard, it dries quickly
- It is not sensitive to moisture, non-moldy, it does not destroy moths
- With short hair it is relatively light
- The colors do not fade
- Our carpets, including these polypropylene carpets, are produced in small series and you will not buy identical ones anywhere else. They are created as very faithful replicas of historic carpets.
Disadvantages of polypropylene carpets
- Its durability has its limits, it passes through time, PP fibers tend to break. If it is in a busy place (such as a corridor), count on 10-20 years.
- It is not resistant to hot objects, it burns.
- The colors are not as brilliant as with natural materials
Two variants of polypropylene carpets
Short pile (2mm) – relatively stressful carpet for busy places. In addition, the low weight with respect to the area, so it can be advantageously used, for example, for decorating walls, tents, etc.
Long hair (7mm) – in places where people walk less, but in return it is much more pleasant to the touch, it is better to sit or lie on it.
Optimal use of polypropylene carpet
At home, it’s a low-cost solution. 2 mm pile is suitable for stairs, hall, etc., 7 mm pile for living rooms, offices.
Larp, film, reenactment, especially when you have a limited budget.
Time of production of carpets to order
Carpets made of silk and natural wool are made of 100% natural material (wool or silk), completely hand-knotted and are dyed with natural colors on a plant basis. We offer them exclusively to order and the delivery time will be 6-9 months.